What Does a Fertility Specialist Do?

After your primary care physician or OB/GYN has conducted some preliminary tests, including ovulation monitoring, post-intercourse tests and basic blood work, you may be prescribed clomiphene citrate for several cycles. Hopefully, this basic treatment will work. 

If clomiphene citrate does not work after three to six cycles, it may be time to start seeing a fertility specialist, also called a reproductive endocrinologist (RE).

An RE specializes in treating reproductive disorders, and in addition to completing the same education and medical requirements as an OB/GYN, they have also finished a two- to three-year fellowship in reproductive endocrinology, passed specialized examinations (if board certified) and completed a two-year practice in reproductive endocrinology.

REs have extensive diagnostic methods and solutions including IVF that your OB/GYN may not offer. Based on test results, your RE may recommend advanced treatments and medications. 

You and your partner can see an RE for a consultation to gather information about possible next steps.