What Does a Fertility Specialist Do?

After your primary care physician or OB/GYN has conducted some preliminary tests, including ovulation monitoring, post-intercourse tests and basic blood work, you may be prescribed clomiphene citrate (such as CLOMID®) for several cycles. Hopefully, this basic treatment will work. 

If clomiphene citrate does not work after three to six cycles, it may be time to start seeing a fertility specialist, also called a reproductive endocrinologist (RE).

An RE specializes in treating reproductive disorders, and in addition to completing the same education and medical requirements as an OB/GYN, they have also finished a two- to three-year fellowship in reproductive endocrinology, passed specialized examinations (if board certified) and completed a two-year practice in reproductive endocrinology.

REs have extensive diagnostic methods and solutions including IVF that your OB/GYN may not offer. Based on test results, your RE may recommend advanced treatments and medications. 

You and your partner can see an RE for a consultation to gather information about possible next steps.